Friday, June 26, 2009

Dido and Aeneas, Mark Morris Dance Group

Without a doubt, Dido and Aeneas is my favorite dance. I love Purcell's music--I never tire listening to it--and Morris' choreography captures its vitality. This is my third time to see the dance. The first time, in the late 90s, the dual role of Dido/Sorcesses was danced by Mark Morris. When I saw it a few years later, Amber Darragh danced the role. Tonight, it was again danced by a male, Bradon McDonald. Though neither Darragh nor McDonald combined the roles humor and tragedy as well as Morris, I'm grateful they've allowed the dance to flourish.

Earlier in the week, we attended a talk-back with Mark Morris and Joan Acocella. There I learned that Morris derived the dance's hand gestures from American Sign Language, making them a further addendum to the dance's visual language.

This was the first dance I saw at BAM Next Wave Festival. It was my introduction to modern dance post Martha Graham; I was immediately hooked. It was convinced me that life with M would be very interesting.

Highly Recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Contributors