Saturday, August 8, 2009

Funny People, Judd Apatow

To date, I've carefully avoided Judd Apatow films. The premises behind his films sounded juvenile and tedious, and any previews I saw confirmed my suspicions. And as I look over Adam Sandler's filmography, I realize that, except for seeing snippets of Billy Madison when the kids were watching the video, I've managed to avoid him, also.  Based on strong reviews, I decided to go against type and see Funny People.  As MS said: well, it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Sandler plays George Simmons--a successful comedian whose comic persona is very similar to Sandler's--who's been diagnosed with a terminal illness.  Alone, he snatches Ira Wright (played by Seth Rogen) from comedy club and grocery-store deli obscurity.  The reasons for this gesture are unclear, but I think we're supposed to think he's looking to buy a friend. Rather than the usual juvenile grossness shaping the film's primary narrative, the penis and fart jokes get sidelined in the comedy acts embedded within the buddy story of George and Ira.  

The movie's energy comes from this buddy narrative, as well as Ira's friendship with his roommates, Mark and Leo (played by Jason Schwartzman and Leo Koenig); however, the film crawls to a near halt when women (and the subsequent love interest) get introduced into the mix.  

So for now, I've had my Apatow and Sandler fix.  Doubt I'll need another injection any time soon.

Caveats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Contributors