Saturday, December 26, 2009

Up in the Air

This movie received great reviews, and yet I had little hope for what could easily have been a romantic comedy with a redemptive ending. (I know, that's what we all hope for, but I seldom see it happen. Hence I find those movies very annoying.) I primarily went because I was interested in how the film handled the newly unemployed. Well, as I expected, those sequences were extraordinarily moving. As I didn't expect, the romantic comedy was much darker than I'd anticipated--and not at all redemptive. The banter between frequent flyers Ryan Bingham (George Clooney) and Alex Goran (Vera Farmiga) wittily captures the parallels between casual sex and the perks doled out to business travelers.
Recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Contributors