Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Red (John Logan)

I first encountered Mark Rothko and his art when a freshman in Houston, Texas. In 1975, The Rothko Chapel (http://www.rothkochapel.org/) had been opened only 4 years, and it introduced me to a spirituality--as well as a genre of art, Abstract Expressionism--I'd never before encountered. Thereafter, I regularly visited the chapel, finding peace and consolation when religion failed me. And in a reversal of an earlier generation's experience with Rothko, I was startled when I eventually encountered his vivid and colorful canvases dating from earlier in his career.

Logan's play imagines Rothko's artistic and spiritual struggles during that color-saturated phase in the middle of his career. Alfred Molina (as Rothko) and Eddie Redmayne (as his assistant, Ken) provide pitch perfect performances, while the red and black canvases reverberate and pulse on stage.

Without doubt, this is theatre at its finest.

Highly, highly recommend. Do NOT miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Contributors