Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Far From the Madding Crowd (Thomas Vinterberg)

I've read most of Thomas Hardy's novels, including (I thought) Far From the Madding Crowd. I find his plot twists excruciating, but they pull me along in my desire for a happy resolution that never materializes.  Imagine my surprise when Far From the Madding Crowd closes with a happy ending--and the plot summary in my handy Oxford companion confirms it's not a Hollywood fabrication. Happy, that is, if you're Bathsheba Everdene and Gabriel Oak, and not poor Boldwood.

Lovely to watch. Carey Mulligan was very fine, and the men in her life conveyed their thoughts and feelings with ever so subtle glances and twitches. 

The subdued and restrained musical score was much welcomed.

Highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Contributors